Ina aro atu ana teoranga ki ngā mea pai, ka rere te wairua, ka taea ngā mea katoa.
When our lives are attuned to good things, when the mind is clear and the spirit flows freely, all is possible.
Kia ora, Creative Community! Welcome to your weekly dose of creative opportunities...
What we're loving this week: 'The Strays' - Isaac Crowe: @isaacattack
HAVE YOUR SAY: Creative Bay of Plenty Survey
Creative Bay of Plenty is committed to understanding what matters to you. But we need your feedback to help us, help you!
Please take 5 minutes to complete our survey. Leave your email address to be in the chance to win a double pass to Rialto Cinema. Competition closes Monday the 8th of April.
OPPORTUNITY: Entries open now for The Cleveland National Art Awards
Entries close 4pm Friday 12th April
The Cleveland National Art Awards are open to all artistic disciplines to artists residing in New Zealand with initial entry via digital or photographic submission. Selection of works for the final exhibition and the winners of each category will be made by a panel of judges from the art community.
This is a biennial award so don't miss your chance to participate!
There is $10,500 in prize money on offer.
OPPORTUNITY: Tauranga Performing Arts Festival - Entries open now!
2019 competition entries for the annual Tauranga Performing Arts Festival are well and truly OPEN. Be sure to jump on the Tauranga Performing Arts website and download the syllabus to get your entries in QUICK.
An amazing festival celebrating all forms of the Arts and the next generation of creators in Modern, Tap, Ballet and Highland Dance, Speech and Drama, Singing and Instrumental!
OPPORTUNITY: Māori Arts Internship (MAI) Programme 2019 | Calling for applications!
Applications close 5pm, Tuesday 23rd April 2019
An internship provides the opportunity to gain valuable experience in a working environment to those looking to explore or gain the relevant knowledge and skills required to enter into a career in the arts:
- Gain valuable work experience which you can add to your CV.
- Apply knowledge learned in training or education in a work environment.
- Enhance your skills and learn new ones through workplace based learning.
- Explore a new career path.
- Enhance your career prospects.
- Gain networking opportunities and keep close to the labour market.
- Build your confidence through work experience.
- Access and connection with the Toi Māori Aotearoa networks.
- Support from the Toi Māori office.
Interns must be of Māori descent, have a tertiary qualification and/or minimum of three years continuous experience working in the arts as an artist, producer or administrator. The internships are paid and will run for a maximum of 20 weeks based on 37.5 working hours per week.
WORKSHOPS: Young Filmmakers Workshops
When: Monday 15th April to Wednesday 17th April (3 full days, 9am - 4pm)
Where: Baycourt Community & Arts Centre
This intensive workshop will guide you from the beginning of the film making process right through to the end, and over the course of the
three-days you will collaborate with other participants through a job sharing process and together you will create a silent film! The skills and knowledge you gain during the workshop will also set you up to create your own three-minute film to enter into the International Youth Silent Film Festival NZ Nationals 2019.
WORKSHOPS: Children's Holiday Art Workshops - Lynne Sinclair Taylor
When: Wed 24 & Fri 26 April 10am to 3.30pm
Where: Lynne's home studio, 15 Hartwell Place, Matua, Tauranga
The children will have fun learning about colour and techniques with different mediums over the two day programme with established artist Lynne Sinclair Taylor!
- All art supplies provided
- Limited numbers
- Optional warm swim at end of class each day
- Who for: Ages 7-12
- When: Wed 24 & Fri 26 April 10am to 3.30pm
- Cost: $65 for one day or $120 for two days.
- Where: Lynne’s home studio, 15 Hartwell Place, Matua, Tauranga
To enrol: Contact Lynne on 021 121 9864 or email@example.com by Thursday 18th April
WIN! Tickets to the Tattoo & Art Extravaganza!
Winners drawn Monday 8th April
The Tattoo & Art Extravaganza is coming up soon, and we have 5 tickets to give away!
Make sure you like our page Creative Bay of Plenty for more awesome competitions too!
Check out the event page here for tickets and more.
GET ART SMART: This week's podcast recommendation...
This week's podcast comes recommended by Anna Price, artist from the BOP - also known as @thezephyrproject on Instagram, check out her beautiful cheeseboards!
- Your Creative Push: Ep. 328 'Flagging Distractions and Focusing on Gratitude' - Your Creative Push is a podcast series that aims to push their listeners to achieve their creative dreams, whatever they may be. Episode 328 features Kiwi artist Andrew Tischler, who discusses dealing with introversion as an artist, how he views beauty in the world, the way in which we distract ourselves from the things we are supposed to focused on, and much more.
Image: 'Southern Spectre' by Andrew Tischler
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: When You’re Feeling Down, Drawing May Help
We loved this article from Artsy on using your creativity to draw yourself out of a slump: channeling your darker emotions, rather than suppressing them.