Kaua e hoki i te waewae tūtuki , ā , apa anō hei te upoko pakaru.
Do not turn back because of minor obstacles, but press ahead to the desired goal.
Kia ora, Creative Community! Welcome to your weekly dose of creative opportunities...
CBOP Out & About: Last Wednesday we attended a performance of Indian Classical Music at The Jam Factory; a culmination of the lessons conducted over the past six weeks by Pradipta Mukherjee (Kutu). Kutu is running a second series of these workshops - take a look here.
CALL OUT: Tauranga Fringe Festival
WANT TO BE PART OF THE THE FRINGE VILLAGE?
Fringe Village is the perfect place to take a risk, try something new, explore that new idea that has been brewing, take the artistic leap into the unknown and share your ideas with a hungry and fearless audience.
Visual artists, theatre, dance, fashion, music, comedy, digital art, storytelling, spoken word, musical theatre, burlesque, street art, street theatre, talks and workshops, activations, cosplay artist, steam-punker, frolicker, beat poet, buskers, dark cabaret, installation, disruptive artist, player of games, magician, poet, zine maker, writer, actor.
Take creative and artistic risks in a safe and supported environment.
Showcase of grass-roots arts, entertainment, the emerging and the established - all working to step outside of their comfort zone.
A one-day, open-access, arts adventure at the best little Village in the Bay of Plenty as with all good fringes. The Incubator are piggy-backing the Tauranga Arts Festival. (Like a tic)
CALL OUT: Art of the Lens Photography Contest
*Entries must be in by 1 September 2019 | First prize: $500*
Part of the NZ Mural Contest and Arts Festival 2019
Photography contest theme: Life Is Not What It Seems
CALL OUT: New to the Bay Expo 2019
Presented by: Welcoming Communities
The New to the Bay Expo 2019 is an event to welcome newcomers and support those new to our community to access services and information for positive and successful settlement.
Register your organisation to participate: promote your products, services, or other information useful to all of the Western Bay of Plenty's newcomers who are settling in our communities.
Be quick! Stalls are limited to 55, and commitment has already been received from a number of organisations excited to be part of this event.
Contact email@example.com for more information.
FUNDING: Research Grants for Writers
*Deadline for submissions is 4pm, 26 July | 4x $5,000 grants available*
The 2019 Research Grants are proudly bought to you by the New Zealand Society of Authors (NZSA) and Copyright Licensing New Zealand (CLNZ) to support New Zealand writers by providing assistance to writers who wish to undertake research for a fiction or non-fiction writing project.
Applications for 2019 opened 21 June
- Four $5,000 Research Grants are available;
- Plus one Research Grant recipient will be selected to also receive a six-week fellowship at the Stout Research Centre at Victoria University Wellington.
UPSKILL: A Practical Approach to Health & Safety - 22 July 2019
"A short practical based session designed to give you an overview of everything you really need to know about H & S.
RESOURCE: How to social media like a pro!
Lynnaire Macdonald shares some tips on how you can reach your audience more effectively no matter where they are.
RESOURCE: Community Arts Toolkit
What is it: The toolkit is aimed at people who lead or are interested in leading community arts projects and draws together best practice from Aotearoa and other parts of the world.
Why is it useful: In the toolkit, you will find
- Inspirational projects
- Tips and characteristics for strong community arts projects
- Resources to help develop projects
- Links to support and networks
- Key to the project is a series of videos of amazing practitioners from around the country – sharing their projects and their knowledge.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: Lifehacks for Creatives
Jess Johnson and Simon Ward are the artistic duo behind the major virtual reality exhibition, Terminus, coming to its first NZ venue this July; Tauranga Art Gallery - Toi Tauranga.
Listen in on this inspiring conversation between two artists.
FUNDING: Jann Medlicott Creative Arts Award
Applications close 8 August 2019
Awarded on behalf of the Acorn Foundation
This scholarship for $2000 has been set up to enable a young creative to undertake further study in the creative arts.
Creative Industries, Fine Art, Design, Fashion Design, Graphic Design, Film Study Or Production, Music, Dance, Performing Arts
- Applicants must have:
- Received at least part of their secondary education in Tauranga or Western Bay of Plenty
- and/or currently reside in the Tauranga or Western Bay of Plenty
Check out previous winners, and all application details here!
CREATIVE WORKSHOPS & EVENTS IN THE BAY THIS WEEK!
WORKSHOPS IN THE BAY THIS WEEK!
- Free Children’s Nga Toi Maori Workshop - 17 July 2019
- Bobbin' Along Sewing Class (Intermediate) - 17 July & 24 July 2019
- Children's July Holiday Art Workshop - 18 July and/or 19 July 2019
- July School Holiday Programme (7 - 9 years): Soap Carving - 18 July 2019
- Peace Day Kids' Workshops - 19 July 2019
- Visual Arts Workshop: Nga Toi Maori - 20 July 2019
- Tea Cup & Tea Pot Flower Arrangement Workshop - 21 July 2019
- Sunday Focus Session: Writing Life Stories - 21 July 2019
- Indian Music Workshops (Series 2) - 24 July to 7 August 2019
EVENTS IN THE BAY THIS WEEK!
Exhibitions/visual arts events opening this week:
- TERMINUS Exhibition (TGA Art Gallery) - 20 July to 27 October 2019
- Artist Talk: Cynthia Johnson & Simon Ward - 20 July 2019
Film events on this week:
- BOP Film Whaka Night - 22 July 2019
Music events on this week:
- City of the Dead (Tauranga Opera Forum - Film Screening) - 18 July 2019
- Mātauranga (NZ Symphony Orchestra) - 18 July 2019
- Katikati Pasifika Concert - 20 July 2019
Photography events on this week:
- Be Inspired: Talk by Kim Westerskov (photographer) - 24 July 2019
Industry events on this week:
- Lunch & Learn Series: Groundswell Festival of Innovation - 17 July, 7 August, 21 August 2019
READ ALL ABOUT IT: Local Arts & Culture Stories Making Headlines This Week
Steven Osborne to perform in Tauranga - SunLive
Acclaimed Scottish pianist Steven Osborne will perform in Tauranga on July 18 with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra.
Omokoroa students creativity on show - SunLive
Omokoroa students will be showcasing their artistic creations on the afternoon of Saturday, July 27, after working on ideas for the new Omokoroa domain playground.
Laughter the compulsory sound of 2019 film fest - SunLive
Finalists of the Vista Foundation 48Hours competition are set to have their films screened at Rialto Cinema on Friday July 20, with tickets nearly selling out.
Kauri mural at Junction - Katikati Advertiser
Katikati’s 76th mural — Te Wao Tapunui a Tāne (The sacred domain of Tāne) — is bound to be seen by thousands of visitors over its 30-year lifetime.
Wearable art warms winter - Katikati Advertiser
Aged care facility Radius Lexham Park celebrated mid-winter by hosting its own Wearable Arts competition.
Generations of art in one exhibition - Katikati Advertiser
Art enthusiasts can enjoy three generations of art at the Carlton Gallery by Julia Blackler, her mother Joan and granddaughter Zoe (nee Andrews) Taylor.
Art is a passion for society’s president - Te Puke Times
Each month Te Puke Society of Artists showcases the work of one of its members at its Constables Gallery.
EVENTS: So many events coming up! See for yourself...
WORKSHOPS: No more excuses. The opportunities are there. Grab them!
View our Instagram @creative.bop
If you haven't already followed our Instagram page, jump on and check it out. We will be keeping it up-to-date with what we are working on at CBOP HQ and who we are working with.
View our Instagram @creatives_of_bop
We have also set up an Instagram page dedicated to showcasing the thriving arts and cultural scene in our region. There is so much going on! Follow the account to keep informed on up-coming events, exhibitions, artist profiles, theatre performances, auditions, workshops and more.
Thank you to our supporters: