Mauria te pono.
Believe in yourself.
Kia ora, Creative Community! Welcome to your weekly dose of creative opportunities...
CBOP Out & About: This week we sat down with Sam and Ciaran of The Charitable Stage Company in Te Puke. TSCS have an exciting show coming up in October at Baycourt - check it out here! Tickets on-sale soon.
OPPORTUNITY: Call Out - New Creative Directory Coming Soon
Submit your profile to be promoted on the new Creative Directory!
Exciting news! Creative Bay of Plenty's brand new website is on its way, and you are the star attraction.
We are calling for creatives in our region to submit a profile in anticipation of its launch in September. Once live, we will be actively promoting and nurturing its growth as the go-to resource for our region's creative network.
Click here for details on how to submit your profile. Be here to be seen!
OPPORTUNITY: Call Out: 'Haiku-na Matata' Poetry Competition!
*Submissions close 5pm, 21 August | Win a ticket to the Tauranga Arts Festival!*
It's time to dust off your vocabularies and put your best idioms forward!
National Poetry Day is coming up on 23 August 2019, so to celebrate, we're looking for your best haiku!
Enter your haiku into our 'Haiku-na Matata' competition, and you could win a ticket to a special event at the Tauranga Arts Festival, 24 October - 3 November!
Haiku theme: Where does your mind go when it wanders?
Submit your haiku to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, 21 August 2019, and we'll announce the winner on 23 August - National Poetry Day!
OPPORTUNITY: Songs of the Murals Contest - Katikati
*Entries close 1 September 2019 | $200 prize | Download entry form*
Open to all creative song writers.
Write a song celebrating Katikati's murals and perform it during the NZ Mural Contest & Arts Festival.
OPPORTUNITY: Te Puke Repertory’s Simply Small Play Festival 2020
*Plays must be received by 17 November 2019*
Te Puke Repertory Society invites novice and experienced writers to submit their 10-minute plays for the Simply Small Play Festival.
- Plays are to be received by 17 November 2019
- Plays are ten minutes in length with a minimum use of props, lights, sound and sets
- Each play can have up to four actors
- A 10 minute play is a dramatic form in its own right, with a beginning, a middle and an end
- Your script should be an original work that has not been previously produced
Click here for submission guidelines.
OPPORTUNITY: Tauranga Opera Form - Singing Scholarship
*Applications must be emailed to email@example.com by 3 August 2019*
Tauranga Opera Forum - 2020 SCHOLARSHIP for One Year’s Singing Tuition
Senior secondary school students from the Tauranga high schools’ zone are invited to apply for a 2020 SCHOLARSHIP which will provide funding towards their singing tuition.
First - $1500.00
Second - $1000.00
Discretionary prize - $500.00
OPPORTUNITY: Skateboard Exhibition - Artist Call Out
*Submissions close Monday 30 September 2019*
Registration is OPEN NOW.
To be part of this spectacular exhibition in the Incubator Gallery, you will need to register and pay for your deck by the 30th September.
Artwork receiving dates: 28th and 29th October
The completed decks will need to be delivered to the Incubator on the 28th/29th October.
The Exhibition launch: Friday 1st November in the Incubator Gallery.
OPPORTUNITY: Everybody Sings - Opening August!
The Choir Ltd. are happy to announce the opening of their new Tauranga Choir!
This choir will start in Term 3 on Wednesday 14th Aug 7.15pm - 9.15pm, Omanu Primary School, 22 Tui St, Mount Maunganui.
No audition! No Pressure! Just pure singing for fun. So, come along for a free visit and see what they do by registering on their website!
FUNDING: Māori Arts Presentation Fund
*Applications close 6 September 2019 | $150,000 towards at least three projects*
This fund supports contemporary Ngā Toi Māori work to tour regions in New Zealand. Activities funded include:
- performing arts presentations such as contemporary dance, hip-hop dance, Māori theatre works and music programmes created and presented by Māori musicians
- visual arts and craft/object arts exhibitions including mahi toi tuku iho (heritage arts such as whakairo, rāranga) arts exhibitions.
FUNDING: Todd New Writer's Bursary
*Applications close 6 September 2019 | Up to $20,000*
The annual Todd New Writer's Bursary allows a promising published writer or presented playwright, at an early stage of their career, to work on an approved project.
UPSKILL: Best ways to promote yourself
Sam Grover (The Big Idea) seeks out top tips from communications expert Richard Irvine for using metrics when you’re promoting yourself online.
RESOURCES: New Resources and Events from SociaLink
- Opening the Blinds on the Real Life of Us: Friday 16 August at 8.45am – 1.30pm at The Village Hall in the Historic Village
Come and view the winner of the Legacy Trust 'Art with Purpose' award that reflects SociaLink's series of research reports to raise awareness of social issues in the Western BOP
- Discussion with Community Networks Aotearoa: Thursday 15 August at 3pm - 4pm at The Kollective
Community Networks Aotearoa supports local networks throughout the country. Come and meet them to discuss: The Charities Act; the Incorporated Societies Act; national level activities; and more!
- Governance Resources: Have you checked out SociaLink's resource on governance yet? You will find all the answers to your queries. They have just added a new module that will help you to recruit new board members. Or, if you’re looking for a board position, you can find one here too. Take action now – if you’re looking to share some of your skills at a governance level, you’ll find a position here.
- Māori Culture 101: Monday 12th August 2019 11:00am - 12:30pm, The Kollective.
Learn about a range of topics that will develop your knowledge of Maori tikanga and related topics, over a series of 4 sessions.
RESOURCES: From the CBOP archive... Event Planning in the Bay!
If you're planning on running a public event in Tauranga or the Western Bay of Plenty, there are some things you'll need to know, from health and safety to waste and traffic management plans. Check it out!
FUNDING: Jann Medlicott Creative Arts Award
Applications close 8 August 2019
Awarded on behalf of the Acorn Foundation
This scholarship for $2000 has been set up to enable a young creative to undertake further study in the creative arts.
Creative Industries, Fine Art, Design, Fashion Design, Graphic Design, Film Study Or Production, Music, Dance, Performing Arts
- Applicants must have:
- Received at least part of their secondary education in Tauranga or Western Bay of Plenty
- and/or currently reside in the Tauranga or Western Bay of Plenty
Check out previous winners, and all application details here!
WIN! Indian Ink Theatre Co. present... Mrs. Krishnan's Party!
After taking North America by storm earlier this year, receiving standing ovations and rave reviews, Indian Ink Theatre Company are bringing the party back home this winter!
Indian Ink Theatre Company presents... Mrs Krishnan's Party - Tauranga!
Mrs Krishnan’s Party blurs the lines between audience and performer as the show conjures up total theatrical mayhem in a rapidly unfolding comic, odd-couple drama of a careworn, widowed shopkeeper and a naïve party-mad boarder. Check out their promo video to get a sense of the incredible atmosphere this performance brings.
~ We have a double-pass to giveaway to the show on Friday 23 August! ~
CREATIVE WORKSHOPS & EVENTS IN THE BAY THIS WEEK!
- Contact Improvisation Dance (6 week course) - 31 July to 11 September 2019
- TAG Art Studio for Children 8 - 12 years: Explore the Land of Paint - 1 August 2019
- Embossed Metal Jewellery Class - 1 August 2019
- Introduction To Botanical Watercolour Workshop: Jenny Coker - 2 August 2019
- Developing Faces: mixed media portraiture with Ulemj Glamuzina - 4 August & 11 August 2019
- Te Reo Workshop (12 week course) - starting 5 August 2019
- Instagram for Advanced Users with Ace The Gram - 6 August 2019
- Instagram For Beginners with Ace The Gram - 6 August 2019
Exhibitions/visual arts events opening this week:
- Exhibition: 'A Look Behind' by Pablo Raíz - 3 August to 11 August 2019
- Exhibition: Elliot Caudwell 'Ocean & Terrain' - 3 August to 15 August 2019
Music events on this week:
- A Mid-Winter's Odds & Sods Concert (Katikati) - 3 August 2019
- Tom Francis (Lifestyle Tour NZ) - 3 August 2019
- Flying Rodents Ripped My Flesh (Jam Factory) - 3 August 2019
- Tauranga Musica presents Chris Greenslade - 4 August 2019
- Macho Macho // Cold Fruit Cup // TBA - 6 August 2019
Dance events on this week:
- Create The Bay Dance Comp - 3 August to 5 August 2019
- Tauranga Intermediate School presents: “Maea” - 6 August to 7 August 2019
Cultural events on this week:
- Chinese Cultural Event - 3 August 2019
READ ALL ABOUT IT: Local Arts & Culture Stories Making Headlines This Week
Tauranga designer wins Hokonui Fashion Awards - SunLive
A pair of gold Crocs, matched with cream trousers, a jacket of many colours and a gold top hat won the Award of Excellence at the MLT Hokonui Fashion Design Awards in Gore on Saturday night.
International Film Festival programme announced - SunLive
The full programme for this year’s New Zealand International Film Festival has been revealed in Tauranga.
Chess the Musical to take stage at Baycourt - SunLive
We all know the songs ‘One night in Bangkok’ and ‘I know him so well’, but did you know they are from a musical called Chess?
Poster series promotes love of kauri - Katikati Advertiser
Kauri Ki Uta, Kauri Ki Tai is an exhibition of poster artworks in Katikati.
Artistic realism works on show - Katikati Advertiser
Artistic realism describes the painting style of talented artist Noeline Grant who will be exhibiting at Arty Tarts store in Cherry Court in Katikati during August.
Yarn bombers swathe suburb in high colour - Te Puke Times
Te Puke has had a hand in Greerton's recent explosion of expression.
1920s in fashion for Bugsy Malone show - Te Puke Times
Flapper dresses, T-strap heels and feather headbands for the ladies, spats, threepiece pinstripe suits and a fedora for the men.
EVENTS: So many events coming up! See for yourself...
WORKSHOPS: No more excuses. The opportunities are there. Grab them!
View our Instagram @creative.bop
If you haven't already followed our Instagram page, jump on and check it out. We will be keeping it up-to-date with what we are working on at CBOP HQ and who we are working with.
View our Instagram @creatives_of_bop
We have also set up an Instagram page dedicated to showcasing the thriving arts and cultural scene in our region. There is so much going on! Follow the account to keep informed on up-coming events, exhibitions, artist profiles, theatre performances, auditions, workshops and more.
Thank you to our supporters: