Creative Bay of Plenty is working with Keep New Zealand Beautiful and Chorus to get some beautiful art onto Tauranga's telecommunications cabinets as part of the 'Paint Your Cabinet Beautiful' campaign.
This is an opportunity for four local artists to paint a cabinet each this March, with possibly more to come later this year (and then hopefully including the whole Western Bay). The Breeze Tauranga did a great job in helping us find a common theme for all cabinets that ties in with our region.
We are proud to announce the winning theme is 'Our Places and Faces'. All artwork submissions must somehow relate to this theme - by depicting someone well-known from Tauranga, or a historically or otherwise significant place in our city.
Interested artists are able to choose a cabinet of their linking (see map and address details under downloads). Chorus will pay the artist, fees range between $400 and $1,500 depending on the size of the cabinet. Paint supplies are paid for and all other materials will be supplied as well.
This is how you can make a submission:
- Find a cabinet in Tauranga that you'd like to paint
- Note down the four letters that can be found in the upper left-hand corner of the cabinet (if there are no letters, please give us the exact address)
- Note down the size of the cabinet (click here for dimension examples)
- Develop a sketch of how you propose to paint the cabinet
- Email your sketch, the cabinet number and size to Lena Kovac
All submissions will be handed over to Chorus and Keep New Zealand Beautiful to select four winning designs. Artists have until the end of March 2018 to paint the cabinets. For inspiration head to https://blog.chorus.co.nz/cabinet-art-gallery/
Submissions close on Monday 26 February, 5pm.