There is a community that needs to celebrate Chinese New Year as a city event. In Chinese culture, this is a very important celebration for families and is celebrated across the world. Most cities in NZ have opportunities for local communities to come together and celebrate Chinese culture during New Year celebrations, but Tauranga has not had a celebration such as this. This will be the first time Chinese New Year will be celebrated in Tauranga.
- Encourage schools and youth to participate
- Support inclusion of newcomers including international students
- Involve local businesses
- Bring together multicultural communities and Tangata Whenua to be part of the event
What will take place at the Chinese New Year Celebration:
- Start at 5 pm on 25 January 2020 with street food and children’s games
- 6 pm Dragon dance and Lion dance
- 6:30 pm Throwing hydrangea (red ball): one single lady throwing the hydrangea to the single man who standing downstairs. This is a fun cultural tradition of New Year celebrations.
- 7:30 Red envelope and sugar (another cultural tradition between older members of the community and children)
- 8:00 Cultural performances will begin and finish before 10 pm
Location: Historic Village
Free to attend
25 January 2020, from 5pm
Want to get involved in this exciting new community event and meet new people?
NZ China Friendship Society is seeking event volunteers for the first Tauranga Chinese New Year Festival.
NZ China Friendship Society welcomes you to be part of their team and bring your skills to this event!
Contact Tina Zhang: 02102483528