Tauranga Moana Pride Picnic is back and better than ever! Now in its second year, the Picnic welcomes everyone to enjoy the day filled with music, inspirational speeches and fun performances. We got The Scoop below…
The Tauranga Moana Pride Picnic takes place this Sunday 8 March at The Strand, Tauranga, from 12pm – 3pm.
Come for the PERFORMANCES!
- Ash Laforteza will be gracing us with her soulful voice on Sunday! A professional singer-songwriter, Ash is excited for the Picnic: “It’s so good to have an event like this in my hometown. I can see the day being filled with love, fun and of course freedom. I’m also excited to see all the acts playing after me and to have a boogie or two while the talent graces us throughout the concert.” (Read our full interview with Ash here.)
- Headline act Caitriona Fallon is not one to miss. With an extensive repertoire of songs and a powerhouse voice, Caitriona and her excellent band are bound to astound! Here’s a teaser.
- Also performing is Jžoe, an enigmatic human who creates music that soothes and illuminates the soul. They are passionate about creating a culture and community that people feel safe to express themselves in. Dabbling in singer/songwriter, neo-soul, folk, pop and alt-acoustic styles, their unique sound is one not to be missed!
- And guess what – there’ll be DRAG. Erika and CoCo Flash will be joining the fun! Erika Flash is the leggy 7ft blonde with killer body, sleek dress style and perfect hair. Buy her a drink and she… will drink it. CoCo Flash is the bouncy disco diva stuck in the disco era with her signature platforms cutting shapes on the d-floor till closing. Don’t miss this!
- And there are MANY more acts to be seen – so come see ’em!
Come for the DANCING!
- ZUMBA TAURANGA! The rumours are true-mours. The incredible, adrenaline-pumping experience that is Zumba Tauranga with Teejay Hemana and Carly Beazely will be making an appearance. You love it!
- Kicking off the picnic in style are Tauranga Samba, a Brazilian-style drumming and percussion band! They play their own unique and funky blend of Batucada: a richly rhythmic and infectious style of Samba, the heartbeat of the Rio Carnival. Together since 2007, they are an enthusiastic group who perform regularly at events in Tauranga and throughout the North Island. They are a mixed bunch from all over the world, united in their common interest of making seriously good music and having fun.
Shh, there’s a pre-party happening too…
- If you head to Voodoo Lounge in Mount Maunganui on Saturday 7 March, you might find yourself a party… Hosted by Voodoo Lounge and Mount Social Club, everyone is welcome, rainbow or ally. A great kick-off for the second Tauranga Moana Pride weekend! But you didn’t hear it from us…
MORE events happening this week???
- 16th Ave Theatre are hosting not one but TWO Pride Nights Out, on Friday 6 and Saturday 7 March! There’s a short play, there’s music, there are monologues… Black Box Productions will be putting on a stellar couple of nights! You can check out the programme here.
As co-organiser Gordy Lockhart puts it, “Pride is a protest, Pride is a celebration, Pride is about understanding that the only thing that truly matters in life is being happy. The message is 100% You B You!”
So, rainbow up, and we’ll see you there!
Image of 2019 Pride Picnic from Tauranga Moana Pride‘s Facebook page.