A new $50 million central government Regional Events Fund has been launched to stimulate domestic tourism and travel between regions in the absence of international visitors due to COVID-19.
The coastal Bay of Plenty (Tauranga, Western Bay and Whakatane) has a $500,000 share of this fund, which will be administered by Tourism Bay of Plenty. Key information includes:
- Applications are open from Monday 28 June until Friday 16 July 2021.
- The fund is contestable and is for events that will attract significant inter and intra-regional visitation.
- Applicants must fill out an online expression of interest form as a first step.
- Applicants must have proven operational event management and content experience.
- Events can be recurring or one-off across a broad range of genres, including arts, culture, music, business or sports.
- Existing events must demonstrate how they will stimulate additional visitation from previous events.
- Applicants can apply for a maximum of $40,000 + GST for a one-off grant and $80,000 + GST for a seed funding grant (for a maximum of three years).
- Successful applicants will need to undertake event measurement and an economic impact assessment of the event in line with MBIE reporting requirements.